Significance of area names in Bengaluru

Significance of area names in Bengaluru

Significance of names of areas in Bengaluru is amazing and interesting.  We have so many regions and places in Bengaluru that most people wouldn’t know why are they named  and what they are named after.

Here are some places with significant names :

Did you know that HSR Layout stands for Hosur, Sarjapur road ?   

HSR Layout, short for Hosur-Sarjapur Road Layout, is a relatively new suburb located in south-east Bengaluru.  It has become a gateway to Electronic City, a major IT hub of the city.  HSR Layout has emerged as a posh locality of Bengaluru  with wide streets, parks and all modern civic amenities.

Residents Watch –  is the one and only news website dedicated to HSR Layout, Bengaluru. It has all the news and views about this mushrooming area since 2012.

Significance of name BTM Layout :

BTM Layout is a neighborhood in south of Bengaluru. Its official name is Kuvempunagara. BTM’s abbreviation is Begur, Taverekere and Madiwala. It is close to Jayanagar, JP Nagar, Bannerghatta Road, Tilaknagar, Taverekera and Madiwala making it one the popular residential areas in Benguluru.

The 1st Stage of BTM Layout is separated from the 2nd Stage by Outer ring road. BTM Layout is noted for its cafés, boutiques and music venues. It is home to renowed educational institutions and Hospitals.

Banashankari – significance of name :

Banashankari  abbreviated as BSK, is a suburb near South Bengaluru. It gets its name from the Banashankari Amma Temple on Kanakapura Road, one of Bengaluru’s oldest and well known temples constructed by Subramanya Shetty in 1915.

Banashankari is the largest locality in Bengaluru, extending all the way from Mysore Road to Kanakapura Road. It is bound by Girinagar and Rajarajeshwari Nagar in the West, Basavangudi in the north, Jayanagar and J.P.Nagar in the East and Padmanabhanagar, Kumaraswamy Layout, ISRO Layout, Vasanthapura and Uttarahalli in the South.

Malleshwaram :

Malleswaram is a centuries-old residential area, known for its ancient temples. It’s named after the 17th-century Kadu Malleshwara Temple, which is dedicated to Lord Shiva.

Malleshwaram is a North-Western suburb of Bengaluru city. It’s one of the zones of BBMP. It was developed as a planned suburb after the great plague of 1898,  which caused many people to move out of the city center.

Sampige Road is lined with stores selling anything and everything.

Significance of Cubbon park name :

This public park was first named as Meade’s Park after Sir John Meade, the acting Commissioner of Mysuru in 1870 and subsequently renamed as Cubbon Park after the longest-serving commissioner of the time, Sir Mark Cubbon.

To commemorate the Silver Jubilee of Sri Krishnaraja Wodeyar’s rule in Mysore State, in 1927, the park was again renamed as Sri. Chamarajendra Park, in memory of the 19th-century ruler of the state Sri Chamarajendra Wodeyar (1868–94), during whose rule the park came into existence.

The formal gardens, from the central hall of the original Attara Kacheri (means 18 government offices) now the Karnataka High Court. Another impressive artistic structure is Iyer Hall, which houses the Central Library with a rose garden as a frontage.

It is un-disputedly the largest public library in the state as evidenced by the college students thronging to read here, and has the world’s most extensive collection of Braille books.

Other buildings located within or at the periphery of the park are 1) the Indira Priyadarshini Children’s Library, 2) the Venkatappa Art Gallery, 3) the Aquarium (stated to be the second largest in India), 4) the YMCA, 5) Yuvanika — the State Youth Centre, 6) Century Club, 7) Press Club, 8) Jawahar Bal Bhavan, 9) Tennis Pavilion, 10) the Cheshire Dyer Memorial Hall and 11) the Ottawa Chatter.

Jayanagar –  name significance :

In Kannada, Jayanagar literally means “Victory City”. It is not conclusively known why it is called that. One school of thought is that the name symbolizes the Maharaja of Mysuru’s  first name: “Jayachamaraja”.

The foundation of Jayanagar was laid in 1948. It was one of the first planned neighbourhoods in Bangalore and, at the time, the largest in Asia

It is surrounded by Basavanagudi, JP Nagar, Wilson Garden, Banashankari 2nd Stage,  Gurappanapalya, Suddaguntepalya and BTM Layout among other areas. It is in proximity to the Lalbagh Botanical Gardens. Jayanagar has 10 area blocks.

Indiranagar :

Indiranagar was formed as a BDA layout in the late 1970s, and was named after the former Prime Minister of India, Indira Gandhi.

It is one of Bengaluru’s newer areas. It is bounded by the Ulsoor to the west, Domlur to the south, Byappanahalli to the north and Vimanapura to the east. Indiranagar is one of the most expensive localities in Bengaluru.

Significance of Basavanagudi name  :

The name “Basavanagudi” refers to the Bull temple,  which contains a monolith statue of the Nandi Bull. The word Basava in Kannada means bull, and gudi means temple. 

Every year a two-day fair of peanuts is held near Dodda Ganesha Gudi or  temple of Basavanagudi called Kadlekai Parishe,  which translates to Groundnut Fair. Groundnuts are exhibited and sold during this event.

J.P.Nagar :

Jayaprakash Narayan Nagara, popularly known as J. P. Nagar, is an established residential area located in the south of the Bengaluru  named after prominent Indian leader Jayaprakash Narayan. It is located in proximity to prime residential areas such as Jayanagar, Banashankari, Bannerghatta Road and BTM Layout.

Significance of name Kengeri :

The name Kengeri comes from the Kannada words Tengu ( coconut) and Keri meaning place. The place is still surrounded by Coconut farms, most of them ruled by Vilperi the Coconut Baron. The place has been ruled by a number of dynasties including Gangas, followed by Cholas.

In 1050 AD, Chola king Rajendra Chola erected a Tamil inscription depicting details of grants made to Eshwara Temple at Kengeri.[1] The provinces of Kengeri and surrounding areas came under the control of Kings of Kukkalanadu, who had Kithnahally near Tavarekere as the capital and ruled Nelamangala, Ramanagaram, Bengaluru South (Actually, parts of Kanakapura district which was part of Bengaluru earlier and was considered Bengaluru  South) and Magadi taluks.

After Hoysala ruler’s regime, during the period of Vijayanagar Empire, Kengeri was vested with Yelahanka province administration. Later, when Maratha warrior Shahaji won Bengaluru. Kengeri came under Shahaji’s regime. During 1677 AD, King of Mysore Chikkadevaraja Wodeyar won Kengeri and was in the province of Mysore.

Rajarajeshwari Nagar :

The area was named after Rajarajeshwari Temple which is located in the Rajarajeshwari Nagar. The locality has plenty of greenery.  Ideal Homes, BEML Layout, BHEL Layout, Krishna Garden, Halagevaderahalli, Kenchenahalli, Pattanagere, Gattigere, Channasandra and Ganakal are some of the sub-localities within Rajarajeshwari Nagar.

K.R.Market  :

 It is named after Krishnarajendra Wodeyar, a former ruler of the princely state of Mysuru. The market is located in the Kalasipalyam area, adjacent to the Tipu Sultan’s Summer Palace. On Mysuru Road Tipu Sultan’s Summer Palace, on Mysuru Road at its junction with Krishnarajendra Road.  It is the first locality in the whole of Asia to get electricity and considered to be one of the biggest flower markets in Asia.

Fraser Town :

Fraser Town (sometimes corrupted as Frazer Town, officially Pulakeshinagar), is a suburb of Bengaluru Cantonment in Bengaluru North-East, spread over 4 kms. It was established in 1906 and is named after Stuart Mitford Fraser (1864-1963), who was the tutor and guardian of Krishna Raja Wodiyar IV, . Maharaja of Mysuru.

 Fraser Town was established to de-congest the growing Bangalore Civil and Military Station (otherwise known as the Bangalore cantonment).  The foundation of Fraser Town was laid in August 1910 by Mrs. F J Richards, with a commemorative plaque on the corner of Coles Road and Mosque Road.

Fraser Town is a residential and commercial suburb, the prominent roads being Promenade Road, Netaji Road, Madhavraya Mudaliar Road (M M Road), Haines Road, Spencer Road, Wheeler Road, Mosque Road, etc.

Hulimavu :

Hulimavu was previously known as Amarapura which came under the administration of Saarakeya (present day: Sarakki). Apparently Amarapura was derived from the word “Amra” or “Amru” which translates to Mango “Sourness”.

Over years the name has evolved to its present name Hulimavu which in Kannada literally means “Sour mango”. The then ruler of Saarakeya (17th century) is believed to have built the Kodandarama Swami Temple in Hulimavu for the well being of its citizens.

Significance of name Ulsoor :

There used to be a jackfruit orchard near the Ulsoor Lake, and the Kannada name for jackfruit being ‘Halasina Hannu’, the area came to be known as Halasuru. During the British rule, the name was anglicised to ‘Ulsoor’.

The first British military station was set up in Halasuru in 1807.

Marathahalli :

Marathahalli is an eastern suburb of Bengaluru city.  The locality is named after the Marut fighter aircraft developed at a HAL facility nearby.  They say that there was a temple of Maruti in the locality and Halli meaning village in Kannada.

Whitefield :

A huge number of Anglo Indians used this area to settle down post Independence.

In 1882, King Chamaraja Wodeyar IX, the Maharaja of the Mysore State granted 3,900 acres (16 km2) of land to the Eurasian and Anglo-Indian  Association for the establishment of agricultural settlements at Whitefield, which lay within his territory.

Significance of name Bellandur :

Bellandur is home to the Bellandur Lake that was built during the reign of the Western Ganga dynasty in the 10th century CE. Historical artifacts excavated along the bed of the Bellandur lake shows evidences of early human settlement in the region.

Dolmens, standing stones, stone circles, tools and other artifacts tracing their origin to the Megalithic Period  have been discovered in Bellandur. Another excavation carried out by historian D.R. Gordon in 1945 unearthed ancient Roman coins in the region.

During the reign of the Chola dynasty in the 11th century CE, Bellandur was called Vikrama Chola Mandala. Tamil inscriptions from Cholas have been found at Kammasandra near Bidarahalli. Inscriptions from the earlier Ganga Dynasty can also be found at the hero stone (veeragallu) of King Shri Purusha.

Vijayanagara :

Vijayanagar is a neighbourhood in Southwest Bengaluru.  It derives its name from the Vijayanagara empire that flourished in South India during the 15th and 16th centuries. It is bound by Mysore Road and Magadi Road, with Chord Road cutting through. It is the northernmost area in South Bengaluru..

Significance of name Sadashivnagar :

Sadashivanagar was created out of the former royal gardens, and is home to one of the original four towers built in 1597 by  Kempe Gowda I,  the founder of the city.

In the 1960s and early 1970s, the gardens of the Bangalore Palace (a summer home of the Wodeyar dynasty of Mysuru) were converted into a residential neighborhood, and this was when the first lots in Sadashivnagar were purchased.

Until the 1990s, Sadashivnagar was known as “Palace Orchards,” as it was built in the former royal grounds. It was renamed in honor of Karnad Sadashiva Rao,  a freedom fighter and philanthropist.

Koramangala :

Koramangala used to be swamp land once upon a time, famous for being marshy and mosquito-ridden. Name derived from the Kannada words ‘kora’ meaning overhaul and ‘mangala’ meaning ‘welfare.’

Lavelle road :

Michael Lavelle on 20 August 1873, applied for the right to carry on mining operations in Kolar. He started his work in a small village called Oorgaum.    The road is   Named after Michael Lavelle, an Irish soldier who discovered gold mining in Kolar.

Vittal Mallya Road or Grant Road ;

Vittal Mallya Road (formerly Grant Road): Named after Vittal Mallya, founder of UB Group

Kasturba Road :

This road was formerly known as Sydney road.  Now it is names after Kasturba Gandhi wife of Mahatma Gandhi.

Dollars colony :

As the name suggests, the homes in Dollars Colony was built by NRIs who turned to Bengaluru looking for its great weather and quiet lifestyle

Arekere :

The origin of the name “Arekere” comes from a water reservoir which is in the area. Are in Kannada means half, Kere in Kannada means a water reservoir or pond.

Basaveshwaranagar :

Basaveshwaranagar is named after Basavanna (also known as Basaveshwara), a social reformer whose followers comprise the Lingayat community.

Significance of name Domlur :

Derived from Tombalur, a kind of flower which is used to worship Lord Shiva. Other theory being Domalu (mosquito in Telugu) + ooru (village)

Significance of name Hebbal :

The word Hebbal is believed to be derived from the beautiful Hebba Lake which lies to the north. On the other hand when analyzed, the name Hebba-halla in Kannada, Hebba means big or large and word Halla for deep. It gives the meaning of Hebbala Kere or literally translated as a large deep lake.

Jeevanbheemanagar :

Originally, the area was developed for the employees of LIC (JEevan Bheema) and KPWD (Karnataka Public Works Department).  The area predominantly consists of LIC quarters consists of LIC quarters (types L, M, N, P) and  quarters (types A,B,C & D).

Rajarajeshwarinagar :

The area was named after Rajarajeshwari Temple which is located in the Rajarajeshwari Nagar. The locality has plenty of greenery.

Nagarabhavi :

Naagarabhaavi means literally “a well of snakes”. It is not conclusively known, however, why it is called so. One school of thought is that the name is due to the high number of snakes present in the area. Also, some believe that it is called a “well” because of the surrounding hillocks that are no longer present due to urbanization

Significance of name Kodigehalli :

Kodigehalli is so called because it was a gift from the king, Veera Ballala to a resident of that area,an old lady who fed him.

Madiwala :

Translates to ‘washerman’ in Kannada. Years when Bangalore ended in Jayanagar, this area was full of washermen and hence the area got the same name.

The history of Madiwala dates back to many thousands of years ago. It is one of the oldest locality in Bengaluru. Seems to be central part of Bangalore, based on archaeological documents and the temple of Someshwara contains inscriptions that refer to the Chola kings having presided over the construction of the Temple of Someshwara in Madiwala

Sunkadkatte :

The area was like a tollgate which was next to Lake and in Kannada Sunka means Tax and Katte means place where we can sit.

Seshadripuram :

It  is a residential and commercial locality in the central part of the city of Bengaluru.  It is named after K.Seshadri Iyer who was a Dewan of Mysore State.

Doddanekundi :

The area was again dominated by Telugu origin where it was originally called as Dodda Nakka Vundi which means ‘There’s a big jackal there’ which then became Doddanekundi in the Kannada usage.

R.T.Nagar :

It is situated in the northern part of the city. It is named after Rabindranath Tagore.

Leave Your Comment