The results for 3 Lok Sabha and 2 Assembly constituencies in Karnataka were declared on 06.11.2018.
- Congress’s A.Nyamagouda won Jamakhandi assembly seat.
- Anita Kumaraswamy from JD(S) won Ramanagaram Assembly seat
- Y.Raghavendra from BJP won Shivamogga Lok Sabha Constituency
- Congress’s V.S.Ugrappa won Bellary Lok Sabha constituency
- R.Shivarame Gowda from JD(S) won from Mandya Lok Sabha Constituency
A total of 31 candidates were in the fray from all the 5 constituencies.
The by-elections were necessiated after Yeddyurappa (Shivamogga) and Sriramulu (Bellary) of Bharatiya Janata Party and C.S. Puttaraju JD(S) (Mandya) resigned as Member of Parliament on their election to the Assembly in May 2018.
By-polls to Jamakhandi assembly seat was caused by the death of Congress MLA Siddu Nyamagouda while Ramanagara fell vacant after Kumaraswamy gave up the seat preferring Chennapatna.
The performance in by-polls is a boost for the ruling Congress-JD(S) alliance in the State which was facing questions of longevity.
Aside from improving its electoral prospects, the JD(S) also realizes that by sticking with the Congress, it can continue in power for a longer term in Karnataka, with Kumaraswamy at the helm.